Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Time to Storm Heaven for Ireland

Time to Storm Heaven for Ireland’s Unborn

On May 25, 2018 Irish citizens will vote in a referendum on whether to repeal the Eighth Amendment to the country’s Constitution. This amendment protects the equal right to life of the unborn child and its mother and effectively outlaws almost all abortions. A repeal would open the floodgates to great evil.

Prayers for Ireland to choose life are earnestly sought. Polls show the vote could be close.
One idea is a Novena to Ireland’s patron, St. Patrick. See the following prayer. It is suggested the Novena begin on May 5 and conclude on May 13 (Mother’s Day). On May 13 Irish pro-lifers will hold a special Day of Prayer: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/irish-pro-lifers-plan-day-of-prayer-and-penance-to-avert-the-major-abortion

After the Novena prayer, other prayer suggestions follow.

A NOVENA TO SAINT PATRICK

Apostle of Ireland Blessed saint Patrick, glorious Apostle of Ireland, who didst become a friend and father to Irish people for ages before their birth, hear my prayer and accept, for God, the sentiments of gratitude and veneration with which my heart is filled. Through thee many have inherited that faith which is dearer than life. I now make thee the representative of my thanks, and the mediator of my homage to Almighty God. Most holy Father and patron of Ireland, despise not my weakness; remember that the cries of little children were the sounds that rose, like a mysterious voice from heaven, and invited thee to come amongst the Irish. Listen, then, to my humble supplication; may my prayer ascend to the throne of God, with the praises and blessings which shall ever sanctify thy name and thy memory. May my hope be animated by the patronage and intercession of Irish forefathers, who now enjoy eternal bliss and owe their salvation, under God, to thy courage and charity. Obtain for me grace to love God with my whole heart, to serve him with my whole strength, and to persevere in good purposes to the end, o faithful shepherd of the Irish flock, who wouldst have laid down a thousand lives to save one soul, take my soul, and the souls of the Irish, under thy special care.
Be a father to the Church of Ireland and her faithful people. Grant that all hearts may share the blessed fruits of that Gospel thou didst plant and water. Grant that, as Irish ancestors of old had learned, under thy guidance, to unite science with virtue, we too, may learn, under thy patronage, to consecrate all Christian duty to the glory of God. I commend to thee this land, which was so dear to thee while on earth. Protect it still, and, above all, direct its chief pastors, particularly those who teach the faithful. Give them grace to walk in thy footsteps, to nurture the flock with the word of life and the bread of salvation, and to lead the heirs of the Saints thou hast formed to the possession of that glory which they, with Thee, enjoy in the kingdom of the Blessed: through Christ Jesus, our Lord.
Amen.

V. Pray for us, O glorious saint Patrick.
R. And obtain for us the intention of this Novena – the protection of Ireland’s precious
unborn and their dear mothers.

Prayers to Other Irish Saints

St. Columcille, pray for us.
St. Brendan, pray for us.
St. Brigid, pray for us.
St. Malachy, pray for us.
St. Finnian, pray for us.
St. Ita, pray for us.
St. Columban, pray for us.
St. Molaise, pray for us.
St. Colman, pray for us.
St. Lawrence O’Toole, pray for us.
St. Oliver Plunkett, pray for us.
All you Irish saints, pray for us.

ST. PATRICK'S BREASTPLATE

St. Patrick's Breastplate is a popular prayer attributed to one of Ireland’s most beloved patron
saints. According to tradition, St. Patrick wrote it in 433 A.D. for divine protection before
successfully converting the Irish King Leoghaire and his subjects from paganism to Christianity.
(The term breastplate refers to a piece of armor worn in battle.)

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness of the Creator of creation.
I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth with His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion with His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection with His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgment of doom.
I arise today
Through the strength of the love of cherubim,
In the obedience of angels,
In the service of archangels,
In the hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In the predictions of prophets,
In the preaching of apostles,
In the faith of confessors,
In the innocence of holy virgins,
In the deeds of righteous men.
I arise today, through
The strength of heaven,
The light of the sun,
The radiance of the moon,
The splendor of fire,
The speed of lightning,
The swiftness of wind,
The depth of the sea,
The stability of the earth,
The firmness of rock.
I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptation of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and near.
I summon today
All these powers between me and those evils,
Against every cruel and merciless power
that may oppose my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of witches and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul;
Christ to shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that there may come to me an abundance of reward.
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness of the Creator of creation.

3 comments:

  1. I have begun to pray.
    How can the Irish have wavered so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, the polls in Ireland (not the political polls) appear to be in favour of not changing the Irish Constitution to deprive the unborn child of its rights. From what I can gather, the whole Irish issue is being driven by an agenda which is against the protection of life. Methinks society is on a very slippery slope these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the prayers, Father. Found this tonight - just in time for tomorrow, the first day of the novena.

    ReplyDelete